Inquiry

Culture

Tuning In:

What is Culture?

After watching these videos and looking at our book ‘Children Just Like me’  in your group discuss and create your definition of what you think culture is.

https://youtu.be/GpTR1wF4M6k?list=PL7QZnhsBRsJT0SOAFTYhDu3TsMmpgIkDh

Biodiversity

frog

Help a habitat

http://www.scootle.edu.au/ec/pinobject?objectId=M015302&pin=EGTWLR&userid=472585

Help to Sustain

http://www.scootle.edu.au/ec/pinobject?objectId=M015322&pin=EGTWLR&userid=472585

habitat

3,2,1, Bridge

How did your thinking and questions about life on an explorer’s ship change after our excursion to Polly Woodside?

What was your metaphor / simile about life on an explorer’s ship?

16 thoughts on “Inquiry

1. Before the excursion I was thinking – What did they do on the ship? I learnt at Polly Woodside they Keep sight for land and food to eat.

My new question after the excursion is but were did their business go? Because their toilets had a big hole in them!

Jess

2. My question before he excursion was What did they do when people died?

I learnt at Polly Woodside They threw them over the ship or if they had run out of food they ate the bodies

Ben

3. Before our excursion I didn’t know t the ropes were called lines.

I also learnt that other sailors were not allowed in the captains cabin.

Ava

4. I thought life on an explorers ship would be better than it really was. After going to Polly Woodside I realised the jobs were horrible and hard. I didn’t know there were more jobs than sailing the ship. The children had to do the worst jobs like cleaning the toilet and climbing the
    mast. The food they ate was disgusting and it was full of
    insects. The beds looked uncomfortable. I thought life on an explorers ship would be fun and exciting but it was horrible and hard.

5. before the excursion i was wondering what they did with the dead bodies but after our excursion I knew that they either ate them or threw them overboard.

my metaphor was life on a explores ship would be like never ending chores or a never ending journey.

by Ariana

6. before the excursion one of my questions were what if they run out of food.if they do they may eat all the dead body’s and they could also eat animals.

7. Before the excution to Polly Woodside I wondered what the crew did with the dead bodes?

After the visit to the Polly Woodside I now know that the crew throw people that had died over board, wraped them up for their family to keep or they ate them if they had no food left or if they were running low on food.

8. I think life on an explores ship would be horrible and the jobs are probably really hard and I think it is unfair that the captain gets his own cabin.

9. Before our excursion I wondered what they did if they ran out of food. At Polly woodside I learnt that if they ran out of food they would find rats around the ships and eat them. They would sometimes use dead bodies for food as well.

10. Before the excursion to Polly woodside I wondered what would happen to the dead bodies?
    After the excursion I learned that try throw dead bodies overboard.Or they ate them if they had not enough food.

By Jason

11. Before the excursion to the Polly Woodside I wondered what would happen if some sailors died at sea. I also wondered what would happen if they ran out of food.

After the excursion to the Polly Woodside. I found out if they die at sea they would have to either throw them over board or if they ran out of food they would cook the sailor. If they ran out of food they would either cook rats and stuff on the ship EXCEPT THE CHICKEN!!!Or cook the sailor.

12. My question was…………..What they did with all the dead bodies? Guess what they did? If they were good hardworking men they would give them to one of their relatives and they would put them in a coffin, otherwise if they were’nt hardworking men and they had enough food they would throw them over the deck. Lastly if they didn’t have enough food they would eat them. I think that’s disgusting!

13. At Polly Woodside I learnt that sailors used a thing called a capstan to pull things off or onto a ship.

By Cooper

14. Before the excursion to Polly Woodside I wanted to know what happened if they ran out out of food and how they would stay clean.
    I learnt that they would keep a chicken to lay eggs and a goat to give them milk on the ship. I also found out that they bathed in a barrel on the deck. This would not give them much privacy!!!!

15. I was really excited when I heard that we were going to polly woodside. I wanted to know what the sailers would eat if they ran out of food. I learnt that they would eat rat soup, if someone had died they’d eat the flesh ”eeow!”