Science Matters Incursion

Grade 5/6 please write about your experiences of the Science Incursion ‘Science Matters’ reflecting on what you learnt.

Science Matters Incursion on PhotoPeach

30 thoughts on “Science Matters Incursion

• What was it that you liked about the duck experiment Stephen? And what was the experiment trying to prove (its aim)?

Mrs Boyhan πŸ™‚

• They can be really quick too like when Sophie poured the water into the beakers and it changed colour straight away!

Mrs Boyhan πŸ™‚

1. During our science incursion I learnt that matter is all things. I also learnt that our polar fleece jumpers are made out of recycled plastic. All the experiments were really fun and interesting, I learnt that sand does not dissolve while it’s in water but sugar does. Just from that hour I learnt so much about science and the CSIRO. Overall I really enjoyed the incursion

Ally
    Mrs Boyhans Blog

• Well done Ally. When we dissolve salt in water we say it is soluble is it a reversible or irreversible chemical reaction?

Mrs Boyhan πŸ™‚

2. I thought the incursion was really fun. I learnt allot of different things I didn’t know. Also because I liked testing out all of the different types of experiments’ I thought the day was great.

3. I thought the incursion on monday was a heap of fun! I learnt so much. Some of the things I leartnt were that some chemical reactions are reversable and others arent. I also found out that everything is made from matter. From your bottle to the bin, even us!!! I really hope we can do more experiments in class. Thank-You Mrs Boyhan for organizing such a fun incursion!! πŸ˜€

Bronte πŸ˜›
    Mrs Boyhan’s Blog

4. Wow that day was amazing at the start I loved how she poured the normal water into the jug and the colour of the water changed! it thought it was a really fun way to learn and test experiments. I also learned lots of things like when atoms are grouped together there called molecules πŸ™‚ and that some things are made out of Solids and Gases like soft drink πŸ™‚

Marie-anne
    Mrs Boyhans Blog πŸ˜›

• It was a great start to our inquiry MarieAnne. Can you give me an example of matter in a state of liquid, solid and gas?

Mrs Boyhan πŸ™‚

5. Monday was a really fun way to start off the science topic. I had lots of fun doing all the experiments. I am looking forward to doing more experiments through the term!

Elisa :]
    Mrs Boyhans Blog

6. The science incursion was very fun, my favourite experiment was the slime, I also like the baby’s nappy one as well. I hope we do more science experiments at school because it was fun.

Isabelle
    Mrs boyhans blog πŸ™‚ πŸ™‚

7. The science incurson was so much fun. I liked the nappy experement. I learnt alot about science. I learnt that there are 3 groups: solids, liquids and gases. Solids stay in their shapes unless it is broken.

Emily
    Mrs boyhans blog πŸ™‚

8. During our Sscience Incursion I learnt a lot about matter and how things are made. Sophie from CSIRO told our Class that the Polerfleece jumpers are made out of plastic bottles and plastic bags. One of the activities that my partner and I tryed was to see how much water the Nappie could soak in. We had to follow the steps one by one and right what we think whats going to happen next. Most of our Class got to try and make Slime. We had to use PVA and Borax. I had a great time learning new facts and trying new Experiments.

Alex D

9. The science excursion was lot of fun. My favourite experiment was the purple cabbage experiment. It was really interesting to see the work that CSIRO do. The day was really fun and I enjoyed it a lot.

Lisa,
    Mrs Boyhans Blog. πŸ™‚

10. I thought the Science incursion was so much fun! I learnt a lot more about science than I knew before. I really liked making the slime and the one were you had to see if the sugar, salt or sand dissolved. I really liked the incursion!

Maddison πŸ˜›

11. The incursion on monday was very good I learnt lots of things like how matter is everything and that some materials change colour when you put them in different substances like in the ducky experiment. I thought it was a great day

12. I had lots of fun at the science incursion. I learnt that every thing is matter and matter is solids liquids and gases. Sophie from the CSIRO came in and told us all about science I also learnt from her that polar fleece is made out of coke cans and other recycled plastics. I liked how we got to choose lots of different science experiments. My favourite experiment was the nappy experiment were we had to see who much water we can absorb. My group and I absorbed 40 ml of water in a little piece of nappy. I had a lot of fun and I’m glad we are learning about science.

Camille
    Mrs Boyhan’s Blog πŸ™‚

13. Hi everyone Jono, Julez and I were in a group in the science incursion. My favourite experiment was when we made the nappies absorb the water with green dye. The green dye made it look like a green tub of jelly. Another thing I liked, was dissolving the sugar into the water. That gave me the idea of how to make home made cordial. You mix sugar and lemon juice and put it in a blender, then you pour that mixture into a cup and add some water and then the best part is drinking it!

Luke K

14. When we went to the science incursion I thought it was going to be load’s of fun whitch it was. I learnt that there are reversable chemicals and there are ireversuble chemicals whitch was one of the fun activity’s we did. My favourite activity was the colour changing duck I thought it was pretty cool how you put it into the boiling water and it turns into a fainter colour but, when you put it into the cold water it changes back into the old colour.
    It was a fantastic incursion THANKYOU MRS BOYHAN:)

15. The science incursion from the CSIRO was amazing! I had learnt many new facts and was very happy when we had made slime ! I learnt that everything is made out of matter and the diffrent type of Acids and Chemical reactions!

16. During our science incursion,I learnt, about different solid, liquid and gas chemical reactions. I also learnt that our polar fleece jumpers, are made out of recycled bottles and cans. I learnt that matter is everything, and that groups of atoms are coined to make matter. The experiment I found most interesting was the cabbage juice experiment, how one bottle of lemonade, mixed with the cabbage juice made it go from purple to pink, and another with bi carbonate soda made it go from purple to blue, this was a reversible experiment.

Greta
    Mrs Boyhans bog:)

17. What a fantastic way to start long term by having the best incursion. I learnt lots of new things on matter and what matter is. We did lots of activities, the best activity in my eyes is the duck activity because it was very interesting to see how a rubber duck would change colour once touching boiled water. This was a great incursion and a fantastic way to kick off the term. Very excited to see what we do next
    Anthony
    Mrs Boyhan’s blog

18. I learnt that some chemical reactions can take time. Some chemical reactions happen in a split second. I also learnt that when a nappy absorbs the water, it gets bigger and is like jelly!

19. On the first day back to school of term 4, we had a science incursion. We did lots of experiments that I had never done and I learnt lots of things. Sophie taught us that everything was matter and every matter was a chemical which I didn’t know before. We made awesome slime and I learnt that sand doesn’t dissolve. I had a great time and it was an awesome incursion.

Isabella.

Mrs Boyhan’s blog.

20. At the science incursion I learnt that everything is made up of matter. Matter can be in a form of liquid, solid or gas. I also learnt that some chemical reactions are irreversible and some are reversible. Some chemical reactions take a long time to change.

21. I really enjoyed the science incursion. My favourite experiment was the one with the rubber ducks, because I thought it was really cool when the colour fades on the bottom of the ducks in the hot water for thirty seconds, then when you put it in cold water, it goes back to it’s normal colour.

22. During this term wall we were doing since I learn many different liquids, solids and gases. I loved the since day was the beast because we got to teach the year Β½ and ΒΎ about since how things dissolved like salt, sugar, metal shavings and sand. We also learnt lots of chemical reactions. In the incursion the experiment I found most interesting was the cabbage juice experiment and duck one where they change color to a lighter color. Some of the people were dressed very good some people had massive wigs and 3d glares they were amazing. Thank you Mrs. Boyhan

Luke L